I recently found myself happily in possession of a large watermelon and thinking about various ways to use it. I started daydreaming about watermelon cocktails (so refreshing! such a treat!) and settled on a watermelon bellini thanks to inspiration here and here. When they are well made with top quality ingredients, bellinis are one of my all-time favorite cocktails and this seemed like a great summertime twist on the classic. The recipe couldn't be simpler too:
- Cut seedless watermelon into chunks and purée (I prefer a food processor but a blender works too)
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve
- Fill flutes halfway with the fresh watermelon juice
- Top with champagne
- Garnish with fresh mint sprigs (optional)
- Serve immediately (the drink separates after awhile)
I have to say that the fresh watermelon juice is a treat in itself. I made extra to keep on hand and drink plain.
I can't get over the color of the pure watermelon juice above.