And all of a sudden, the holidays are upon us!
This year, I've made my grandmother's spiced pecans to give out as hostess gifts. The recipe (included at the end of this post) comes from a family cookbook with dishes that my paternal grandmother wanted to pass on. During a time of year filled with family traditions, I especially cherish that connection.
Like so many of the recipes I gravitate towards, this one is simple to prepare and incredibly delicious. These spiced pecans are a huge crowd pleaser, and they always disappear quickly. I doubled the recipe in order to ensure that I had enough to both stock my home and give some away over the next few weeks. After being scooped into cellophane treat bags and tied off with twine and a festive gift tag, they are ready to go!
In the midst of a busy season, I am reflecting on how much I have to be grateful for, including this creative space and you, my readers! I'm taking the rest of this week off to celebrate and spend time with family, and I'll be back next week with a new post on Tuesday. In the meantime, I wish you a very happy Thanksgiving!
Gooey and sticky, it's goodness in the making!
The many stages of spiced pecans: tossed in the coating, prepped for the oven, and cooling.
They're ready to go!
Spiced Pecans Recipe
- 4 cups pecan halves
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar (I used raw turbinado sugar, as I often do)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash allspice
- Dash nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Combine all ingredients, except the pecans, in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the nuts and stir to thoroughly coat in the sugar and spice mixture.
- Lift the pecans out of mixture using either a slotted spoon or your hands.
- Spread the nuts out on a well buttered cookie sheet. I add a layer of parchment paper (also buttered) to keep the nuts from sticking.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately run a spatula under the nuts to prevent them from sticking. I move the nuts (still on the parchment) onto a cooling rack.
- Cool thoroughly and store in airtight containers. Enjoy!